How about enjoying your nicely chilled drinks on the go? To some people, it sounds impossible. However, thanks to a portable RV ice maker, you can enjoy cold drinks on adventures.
The benefit of having an RV ice maker is that you can access ice cubes even in the wild. Also, given the limited space of the RV, portable ice machines do not take much space. Additionally, with a portable ice maker for RV, you do not need a plumbing system.
In this article, learn factors to consider when buying a countertop ice maker for your RV and the best RV ice maker in the market.
Benefits of Having a Portable Ice Maker for RV or Camper Van
Several things make your RV-ing experience more fun and comfortable. Being able to access perfect ice cubes is one of those things. Whether you are at home or out in the wild camping, enjoy your chilled drinks. The benefits of RV ice makers are:
1. Easy Storage and Portability
Portable ice makers are compact and, hence, do not take much of your space, which is convenient to use in limited spaces such as RVs.
2. Does Not Require Plumbing
A portable ice maker machine has a refillable water reservoir. It does not require a connection to the plumbing system of the RV.
3. No Drainage Required
The portable RV ice maker does not require a drainage system. It reuses its water to produce ice.
4. Fast Ice Production
The camper ice maker produces ice faster than a typical fridge. Most portable ice maker machines can produce ice in less than 10 minutes.
5. Makes Large Quantity of Ice
Although compact-sized, most RV ice makers can make up to 40 lbs of ice in 24 hours.
Tips for Choosing the Best Portable Ice Maker for RV
Here are major factors to consider when buying an ice maker for RV.
1. Size and Portability
Although they are known as portable ice makers, there is a wide variety of portable RV ice makers varying in size, ease of portability, and capacity. Consider the availability of space in your RV before buying the ice maker.
2. Ice Production Capacity
Another thing to consider is the ice production capacity of the camper ice maker. If you are mostly planning excursions with friends, consider a 30 to 40-lb ice maker. That way, you will always have enough ice cubes.
3. Size of Ice Cubes
Different ice machines make varying ice sizes. The size of the ice cubes ranges from small ice to medium to large. Also, it would be best if you considered the shape of the ice depending on your creativity. Common ice types are cubes, nuggets, crescent, and bullets. It is best to choose an ice maker machine capable of making different sizes of ice cubes.
4. The Speed of Ice Production
The speed of the RV ice maker is an important factor to consider. Some ice maker machine produce ice faster than others. It is best to consider a machine with a higher speed.
5. Smart Features
The best ice maker for RV should have innovative features such as an automatic timer function. With this feature, you can set your machine to produce a certain amount of ice for a definite period.
Top 3 Picks: The Best Portable Ice Maker for RVs
1. Highly Efficient- The VEVOR 110V portable RV ice maker produces large-sized ice cubes in just 25 minutes. The 40-lb ice maker can make up to 18 kg of ice in 24 hours. The energy-efficient ice maker has a quiet compressor that requires low energy to freeze. With a large observation window, you can monitor the process.
2. High-Quality Build– The VEVOR portable ice maker for RV has a 3- 3-layer tank with a high-quality quality, sturdy, and durable ABS shell that is easy to clean. The food-grade ice basket can store up to 2.4 lb (1.1 kg) of ice cubes. The ice maker is fitted with a high-density foam to maintain temperature and insulate the heat.
3. Easy to Use- The VEVOR 110V camper ice maker machine is easy to operate and use for everyone. It has an easy-to-operate control panel for switching on/off. Also, it has LED lights for showing operating commands. It gives auto alerts when the ice basket is full or the water is low. You can select from large and small ice sizes.
4. Impressive Details- The VEVOR 110V self-cleaning ice maker machine has a manually refillable 1.5 water reservoir. The ice basket is easy to remove. Both the ice basket and the scoop are made with quality food-grade material. The condenser provides a good airflow, ensuring quick heat dissipation and fast ice production.
5. Versatile- The VEVOR 110V is a perfect ice maker for RVs. However, you can use it for outdoor parties, kitchen counters, coffee shops, and restaurants.
1. Fast and Efficient– This 1.3-capacity RV ice maker makes ice quickly and efficiently. It makes 9 bullet ice in just 7 minutes. It produces approximately 26 lbs of ice cubes in 24 hours. So, you will have a continuous supply of ice on your RV.
2. Noise Free– The VEVOR is the best ice maker for RV due to its noise-free nature. It runs on an energy-efficient compressor, which only utilizes 105W power. The no noise and high efficiency make it a perfect ice maker for RV. It produces less than 45dbA noise.
3. Outstanding Features– This ice maker for campers has a self-cleaning function. The feature is an 8-minute rinse session to remove all the dirt inside the ice box. The components of the ice maker are made with quality food-grade, BPA-free PP material. Your health is safe with this countertop ice maker with water line.
4. Good Insulation– The portable camp ice maker is fitted with a 2. mm foam layer and a 3-layer insulation material that keeps ice frozen for 8 hours even without power.
3. Euhomy Ice Maker Machine 40Lbs
1. Easy to Use– The Euhomy ice maker has an LCD display for easy use of the machine. Some features include easy-to-use push buttons, a timer with an 8-hour delay, and on-time prompts on-ice production. Also, when the water runs low in the water reservoir, the indicator lights up as a reminder to add more water. Also, when the ice basket fills, it will remind you to remove the batch of ice to continue the ice production.
2. Easy to Refill Water- The bottled water ice maker can hold up to 3.2 liters of water. The large capacity water reservoir allows you to stay for long without refilling.
3. Self-Cleaning– The ice maker RV has a self-cleaning function. Press the timer button for approximately 5 seconds to activate.
4. High-Quality Material– The components of this camp ice maker are made with food-grade material. The exterior is made with stainless steel, while the inside is made with food-grade plastic.
5. Low Noise Level– It has a noise level of 45, which is extremely low.
6. Large Capacity Ice Production- This countertop ice maker can produce up to 24 ice cubes every cycle, approximately 12 to 18 minutes. It is capable of making up to 44 pounds of ice in 24 hours.
Maintenance and Care Tips for Your Best RV Ice Maker
Regular maintenance and proper care of the ice maker for RV will keep it functioning optimally as you continue enjoying your cold drinks for a long time.
Ensure the Water Reservoir is Always Clean
Drain and clean the tank regularly to prevent bacteria and mineral deposit build-up. Use warm water with a gentle scent free dish soap to clean the ice maker. Avoid using harsh cleaning chemicals.
Use Boiled or Distilled Water
Using clean or distilled water gives you crystal clear and clean ice cubes as there are no impurities.
Empty and Clean Ice Basket Occasionally
Remove a batch of ice from the basket and clean it regularly. It prevents the accumulation of bacteria, and you get clean ice for fresh, cold drinks.
Descale the Machine Regularly
If left for a long time, mineral deposit accumulates on the ice machine. Descale your camper ice maker regularly to remove mineral deposits.
Do Not Overfill the Water Reservoir
Be careful not to overfill the ice maker water reservoir. Overfilling will result in an overflow, which can damage the machine.
A portable RV ice maker gives you the convenience and luxury of having access to ready ice cubes even on the go. With a camp ice maker, you can enjoy your cold drinks anytime. Using an ice maker is easy, fast, and convenient. Additionally, it is lightweight and compact, making it perfect for the limited space in the RV.
The best portable ice maker for RV has numerous benefits; the bottom line is the ability to have ready ice cubes from anywhere. When choosing an ice maker RV, consider one with a control panel display for ease of use, speed of ice production, size and portability, capacity and ice size.
FAQs about RV Ice Makers
Can I run an RV ice maker on a generator?
Yes, ice makers for campers use generators to run or solar power to produce ice. A generator is the only practical way to make ice cubes in an RV or during outdoor excursions.
How often should I clean my RV ice maker?
It is good to clean the ice makers for RVs at least once a month.
Can I use the ice maker in my RV while driving?
Yes, it is safe. You can leave your car ice maker on while driving.
How much power does an RV ice maker typically consume?
This depends on the type of ice maker RV. On average, an ice maker consumes 100 Watts with an energy consumption of about 350 kilowatt hours (kWh) monthly.